MAP 2023 Summer Student Program
MAP is recruiting Black, Indigenous, and other undergraduate students of colour to join our team as summer students.
Summer students work with MAP scientists and staff on health equity research projects.
Applications for the 2023 program are now open and the form is linked below.
About the program
The MAP Summer Student Program is an opportunity to:
- Gain research skills, experience, and mentorship, to help prepare for graduate school or other career goals
- Access professional development resources available through MAP and St. Michael’s Hospital
- Participate in skill-building workshops related to professional development
- Connect with other undergraduate students who are interested in health equity research
Students are paid $18/hour, 37.5 hours per week. The program is 10 weeks long (June 5-August 11, 2023).
Who should apply
Applicants must be:
- Interested in building research skills and exploring a career in research that aims to reduce health inequities
- Self-identified as a Black, Indigenous or other racialized person
- Currently enrolled in a university/college undergraduate program in Ontario, Canada, in the Fall 2023 following the Summer Program. Students enrolled in medical school or who will be starting in medical school in the Fall are not eligible for this program.
- Legally able to work in Canada
- Available to participate full-time (37.5 hours/week) for the full 10-week program (June 5- August 11, 2023)
- Able to work in or around the MAP offices in downtown Toronto, as needed.
- Please note that if you are selected to participate in this program, you will be required to submit proof of three COVID-19 vaccinations as per Unity Health Toronto Policy.
How to apply
The application deadline is 5:00 pm EST on March 1, 2023.
Google forms allows you to save your progress for up to 30 days if you are logged into your free google account. If you do not have a google account, please review the prompts and the fields for contact information for those recommending you, formulate your responses, and be ready to copy and paste it into the form when submitting the application.
You will be required to upload your unofficial transcripts at the end of this application form, so please ensure you have them by the time you intend to submit the application.
We hope to make this application process as simple as possible. Should you prefer to complete this as a downloadable form that can be filled in offline, please send an email to email@example.com .
Review the list of MAP projects below, and read the descriptions provided by the scientists who are leading them. Choose three projects that you’d love to work on. If you’re selected for the program, we’ll do our best to assign you to one of these projects.
Obtain an unofficial copy of your most recent university transcript.
Fill out the application form below, which includes your three project choices, a 300-500 word Letter of Intent, and the names and contact information for two people willing to complete a reference form for you. (Note we only want their names and contact information for the application – if we require a reference for you, we will request them later).
The deadline to submit your completed application is 5:00pm EST on March 1, 2023
If you are selected for an interview, you’ll hear from us by early May 2023.
The program starts June 5, 2023.
Summer Student Project List
If you’re selected for the MAP Summer Student Program, you’ll be assigned to one of the below projects. Read through the descriptions below, paying attention to each project’s topic, methods, and the scientist leading them. In your application form, you’ll be asked which three projects interest you the most.
Review & Selection Process
- Eligibility Screen: All applications submitted on or before the deadline will be screened for eligibility requirements (e.g., applications are complete when submitted, transcripts confirm enrollment at Ontario undergraduate program).
- Review of Letters of Intent: Two reviewers who are experienced researchers currently employed at MAP will be assigned to rate Letters of Intent for each eligible applicant, and their ratings will be averaged to determine the applicant’s final rating. Letters of Intent with highest average ratings overall will be provided to Scientists associated with the projects of interest listed in the application. (Note: transcripts are used solely to confirm eligibility and are not shared with Scientists)
- Scientists Interview and Select Finalists: Scientists will decide which students they want to invite for an interview and make their final hiring decision based on the Letter of Intent, Interview(s), and References.
Sample Email Template When Requesting a Reference
You need to submit contact information for two people who would be willing to complete a reference form for you if you are selected as a finalist and a Scientist requests them. It would be best to ask your letter writers if they would be willing to compete a reference for you before you submit their contact information to us.
Below is an example of an e-mail that you can use if you’re not sure how to approach your recommender.
Dear [person’s name],
You have been an important [mentor/supervisor/leader/person/influence] in my life, and that is why I am hoping that you would write me a letter of recommendation. I am applying to a 10-week research opportunity at MAP Centre for Urban Health Solutions (located at St. Michael’s Hospital) called the MAP Summer Student Program (https://maphealth.ca/summer-students).
To apply, I need to submit the email address and name of two people who could recommend me. You would only be contacted if I am a finalist for the Program, which I will know sometime in May 2023. If you would be willing to complete a reference form for me, then you would receive an email request and a form for you to complete at that time. Would you be willing to let me list you as a potential reference?
Thank you so much for considering this request.
5:00pm EST on March 1, 2023
Based at the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael’s Hospital (Toronto), MAP is a world-leading research centre dedicated to creating a healthier future for all. Learn more